Hong Kong's Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health imposed a temporary ban on Cebu Pacific's passenger flights from Manila, as COVID-19 cases were recorded in a single flight upon arrival in the Chinese territory.
"Following this development, Cebu Pacific has cancelled its passenger flight 5J 272 Manila – Hong Kong from September 3 to 16, while its return flight 5J 273 Hong Kong – Manila will proceed as scheduled," the low-cost airline said in an advisory.
The new COVID cases prompted the health agency to prohibit Cebu Pacific passenger flights from Manila for two weeks beginning September 3 until September 16. The CHP will cancel only the Manila-Hong Kong flights; Hong Kong-Manila flights will proceed as scheduled.
In a press release, the CHP said Cebu Pacific flight 5J-272 on September 1 had four COVID-19 positive cases through arrival testing and one passenger who failed to meet pandemic arrival requirements in Hong Kong.
The CHP cited the Prevention and Control of Disease (Regulation of Cross-boundary Conveyances and Travellers) Regulation (Cap. 599H), in which a health authority reserves the right to temporarily ban aircraft from landing in Hong Kong in the case where COVID-19 cases are recorded.
READ: Hong Kong bans PAL flights from Manila for 2 weeks
Last week, Hong Kong announced similar prohibitions on Philippine Airlines flights from Manila and Turkish Airlines flights from Istanbul. PAL and Turkish Airlines are banned from flying passengers into Hong Kong from August 29 until September 11.